Winter got you down?
Beat those blues in the hills of Healdsburg
by Whitney Butler
Don’t get down on winter when there are so many ways to enjoy the season. Beat those winter blues with a bouquet of activities that explore food, wine, art and adventure throughout February during Hands on Healdsburg — with its unique winter offerings. With so many great activities to choose from, you’re sure to find something to warm you up while you wait for warmer weather.
Mystery Tastings and Tastings in the Dark at the Francis Ford Coppola Winery are the perfect ways to wake up sleepy senses while expanding your knowledge of wine and wine tasting. Learn more about the complex relationship between wine and chocolate during a special seminar at Seasons of the Vineyards Wine Shop. And be sure to explore the origins of port wine at a tasting at Café Lucia. Some wine activities happen daily while others happen on selected days. Reserve your spot and warm up to one of these wine activities this February.
Healdsburg has plenty of great foodie-inspired activities to let you express your culinary style. Don’t miss the Japanese Rice Workshop with Japanese food writer and teacher Sonoko Sakai and Robin Koda, proprietor of Koda Farms, the oldest rice farm in California. Learn the ancient art and techniques used to celebrate one of Japan’s proudest dishes. Drink beers while sitting at chef Billy Reid’s table or pull up a seat with Bravo TV’s Top Chef contestant Louis Maldonado — two unique tasting menus from two of Healdsburg’s finest, hosted by Relish Culinary Adventures. For a special Valentine's Day dinner, head over to Seghesio Winery for a sparkling wine reception in a candlelit cellar, and dine privately with a meal prepared by executive chef Peter Janiak.
Arts and oddities
For unique Valentine’s Day gifts, check out one of these creative arrangements.
- Play along with an amusing musical experience at Wine, Whim & Song, a blindfolded experiment that attempts to answer the question: Can wine and music influence each other?
- Let your green thumb get creative at For the Love of Flowers or Designing Beautiful Orchid Arrangements at Dragonfly Floral.
- Or try your hand at Twining Rush and Tule at the Basket Workshop. Join master weaver Charlie Kennard and discover the secrets once used by the California Indians.
- And for a crafty afternoon, don’t miss the Embellished Book Workshop at the Healdsburg Center for the Arts. This beautiful keepsake is made from recycled books and reflects your personal style.
Make your reservation for two and share one of these events with someone special.
If you’re missing the great outdoors this winter, check out these adventure-friendly activities.
- The Vineyards, Orchard and Olive Mill Tour is a 1.5-hour trip around Trattore Farms that explores the history of local olive trees and the science behind making olive oil.
- To complement this activity, check out Soil Mattes: Appellation Wine Tasting and Winter Pruning Workshop at Mazzocco Winery, where guests will be treated to a flight of zinfandels from different vineyards and appellations.
- If you love wildlife, the Birding Adventure at Pezzi King Estate is the right choice. Learn about local birds while touring the private Pezzi King Estate, which overlooks the Dry Creek Valley.
- The Wild Mushroom Foray is a unique farm-to-table experience — forage for food and then have it masterfully prepared.
If you need some help getting over the winter blues, head to Healdsburg this February and find a reason to celebrate.